Thursday, July 07, 2005

Rainbow Trout with Blackberry Pan Sauce









Photos by: Savanna
The blackberry harvest continues ...

Quick, easy and attractive was the name of the game tonight.

No real measurements, this one's all about feel.

I had 2 nice, big rainbow trout filets harvested from the holy waters of Michigan's Au Sable River.

Actually, it's all catch and release up there, so these are from some trout farm in Canada purchased at the local Meijer's at a cut price. Nevertheless, it was a very attractive set of filets.

I salted and peppered the filets and saute'd them in a little olive oil, flipping them gently just as they released from the pan. Then I pulled them from the pan just as they released from the other side. Total cooking time, 5 minutes, tops. I set them on top of a bed of campenelle pasta.

Then, I added a some thinly sliced garlic to the pan, followed soon after by the berries (around a pint). I tossed the berries around for just a minute until they started to render some liquid. Then I added about a quarter cup of red wine and swirled it around untill the berries broke down some more. After that, I added a tablespoon of butter. Once that melted and was incorporated into the sauce, I poured it over the final product. The only thing I would do differently is next time out, I would crush the garlic and add it to the pan with the berries. The slices toasted instead of dissolved because of the high heat and the taste was a little astringent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home