Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Goat Bleu

Because we have a cow's milk allergies in the house, I tend to always be on the lookout for affordable goat and sheep bleu cheeses, and I rarely every find them. However, about a month ago I happened into the Whole Foods in Ann Arbor and came across Bastiaansen Organic Goat Bleu cheese on sale for 8.99 a pound.

I let it sit in the refrigerator for a week or two and when I finally got around to trying it, it was spectacular. The aroma was earthy and pungent and it melted in my mouth like a warm chocolate truffle. I'm not sure what the milkfat content is on it, but it must be considerable.

I ate it on a Zingerman's baguette and I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks with joy as I savored each bite.

Later on I crumbled it on penne pasta with a red sauce I made with mushrooms, bacon and spinach. It melted down to a velvety creme-like state and the pungent qualities mellowed. It was a very simple meal but the flavors were just totally in tune and over the top.

I paired it with a nice bottle of Bell's Oberon summer ale. If I was going to drink wine I'd look for a white that was dry and has a little fizz to it. A pinot gris or a Spanish white would do well with this. I like my wine and food to contrast rather than blend, something I'm sure I'll post about at length some time.

Not sure how long the sale lasts, but when I went back to get another wedge it was still going on.

Update 5/5: Stopped into Whole Foods tonight, it's running $15.99 a pound now, still not too bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home